The years following the change from Tri-State Sanitarium to Tri-State Hospital in 1929 were filled with challenges and opportunities for Drs. Willis and Knighton along with other Tri-State physicians and surgeons. First came the Great Depression of the 1930 and then the War Years of the 1940s. Many younger doctors served in the military while the older ones were fighting the battle on the home front. Their biographies are the history of their Time and Willis-Knighton Health Systems very earliest years.

Opening of Tri-State Hospital 1929


The opening and name change as well as the expansion of Tri-State Hospital replaced what had been Tri-State Sanitarium.  In 1929, a group of physicians and surgeons led by Drs. Willis and Knighton first leased then purchased the Sanitarium.  In 1927, Drs. Willis and Knighton had moved the Willis-Knighton Clinic from St. Mary's Place to Greenwood Road next to the Sanitarium.  The change was "Big News".  The Times of Shreveport produced several articles on the events leading up and after the official open house. 
You will be able to expand and read the articles by clicking on the PDF.

Location in Museum

Talbot Museum Digital Archive



100 Years